Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Taste of Tuesday Sweet and Sour Meatballs

As you may have read many times on my blog, my mom is a nurse and works second shift. 3pm-11pm. She only works 3 days a week so she's usually here to cook and eat dinner with us. But on the days she's not here, what do we do? My dad doesn't get home until about 5:30 or later, so he's tired and doesn't want to spend an hour making dinner. Then there's me and Brian. Neither of us having cooking skills and I don't dare read from a recipe...I'd probably burn the house down! So, needless to say it's either fast food, going out or my mom cooking something before she leaves. Today we're doing just that. It's 95 degrees, so we don't want the oven on and its took hot to cook on the grill. We decided on something extremely easy. I like easy :) 

As you also know, I'm picky. So when I got introduced to this dish, I wasn't sure. But now I love it. Bottom line of that? If I love it, you will too! 

Crappy picture but its out of the cook book :)

*First we have to make the meatballs. You need a skillet for whole recipe. We cook the meatballs in the skillet also

Ingredients for meatballs:
  • 1 pound hamburger
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 egg

Direction for Meatballs:
  • Mix the ingredients with hands, shape into about twenty 1 1/2 inch balls. 
  • Cover over medium heat in a skillet for about 20 minutes
  • After meatballs are cooked, take them out of the skillet and remove the fat


*With the meatballs set aside, we need to mix the other ingredients:


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 can (13 1/4) pineapple chunks
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped

Directions:
  • Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in skillet
  • Stir in pineapple (with syrup), vinegar and soy-sauce
  • Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat.
  • Add meatballs. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally. 10 minutes.
  • Stir in green pepper. Cover; simmer until crisp-tender. 5 minutes
  • We usually make noodles to go with it!
  • Enjoy!





3 comments:

Jennifer Hays said...

This sounds really good. I've had a few variations of sweet-and-sour meatballs and they've all be pretty tasty. There are some weird recipes for them out there, though; a friend of mine makes hers in the slow-cooker with a sauce that's made of a jar of grape jam mixed with a bottle of ketchup and I think there's rum mixed in. They're called Drunken Meatballs and they're actually really good!

Ashleigh said...

I know this will sound amazing too most but not too me! I hate meatballs.. I am the worlds worst picky eater ever I do believe.. I love to cook especially cooking together now that is when its the best! I love it when Jeremy & I are home together & can make our dinner together verses one or the other cooking it alone :)

heydanixo said...

95 woooo, you don't wanna come down here then lol. Your food always looks so tasty(:

Post a Comment

 
Content Happiness is a Mood Not a Destination | Design Poppiness Designs